About Me

My photo
Lover of anything vintage. I spend my free time looking at antiques,watching and collecting classic films,and reading some of the greatest literary classics known to man.This blog is just my way of sharing my interests with other people.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"Fasten your seatbelts,it's going to be a bumpy ride."-Bette Davis

Why the classics?


I get asked all the time WHY I'm so into classic movies. People think it's weird, and I must admit, it is a rather unusual hobby. But my answer is simple-or at least,to me it is. Classic movies (not "old") possess qualities that today's movies can't even touch.


If you go to the movies today, they're all the same. Every movie has the same plot line. They're all shallow romantic comedies, or movies with the only apparent goal of figuring out how many sex scenes can fit into two and a half hours of screen footage, or "shoot-em-up" movies where everyone dies.

And (partly because of the afore mentioned reason) the actors are so generic. They're all the same. They're like brain-washed little goats who don't care that they're starring in the exact same movie that was released a week ago, except that their character is "Anna" instead of "Emma," or else "John" instead of "Joe." For some actors today,that's just as well because I don't believe they probably possess real talent anyways. But for others, it's such a shame,because it's clear that they're extremely gifted,and it makes me want to see them in a more creative,passionate,original story.


Classic Movies are just different.


So many of the great actors and actresses from Hollywood's Golden Age (late 1920s-early1960s),had made a career for themselves with silent films,which meant that they had to know how to portray real emotions, and stories without the use of actual words. Can you imagine how much skill that took?

And even those who didn't make any silent films grew up watching them,and studying them,so they had an understanding of them,and they took that understanding,along with all the technique they had observed, and applied it to their own careers later on.

Then there are the directors,producers,and writers that helped create exciting and original stories. Yes, there were romantic comedies,but they were actually funny. They didn't borrow the same plot lines from other films. There actually weren't any "shoot-em-up" films,because they had something better-film noir.Those two little words span SO many different elements used to create fascinating movies: suspense,mystery,murder,vixens,romance,gangs,mafias,etc.


Classic movies just had it all. They portrayed a real depth that the film industry today has lost.They were complex,and yet many of them were so simple. They were made in a simpler time,and reflected that. They are pieces of art,that also show actual history in the making.

That's why I love classic films.That's why I want to share my love of them with others.

Simple enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment