About Me

My photo
Lover of anything vintage. I spend my free time looking at antiques,watching and collecting classic films,and reading some of the greatest literary classics known to man.This blog is just my way of sharing my interests with other people.

Friday, December 9, 2011

"O hush the noise,ye men of strife,and hear the angels sing."

A Very Vintage Christmas post #5
Christmas countdown: 16 days
So, at this point in time, I'm really glad that when I posted the schedule for A Very Vintage Christmas posts, I said it was only tentative.
I'm very sorry I didn't post this yesterday, as was my plan, but I am a lowly college student, and this was finals week.I guess it's a good thing I put up an extra post earlier this week.
Anyways,let's just pretend this post is for Thursday, which means it's time to add another classic Christmas song to your playlist!
"It came upon a midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth,
To touch their harps of gold:
'Peace on the earth,good will to men,
From heaven's all-gracious King.'
The world in solemn stillness lay,
To hear the angels sing."
(random side note: verse 2 is my favorite)
"Still through the cloven skies they come,
With peaceful wings unfurled,
And still their heavenly music floats
O'er all the weary world;
Above it's sad and lonely plains,
They bend on hovering wing,
And ever o'er it's Babel sounds
The blessed angels sing."
Like a lot of our classic Christmas carols, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear was originally a poem, composed in 1849 by Unitarian pastor, Edmund Sears.It was paired with an already existing traditional English melody in 1874.There are actually five stanzas (or verses) to this poem/song, but the first two are the most well known.
And now for the version I've picked for you.It Came Upon A Midnight Clear was featured in the track listing of Frank Sinatra's 1957 album, A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra.I love, love, love this version.I happen to really like this song, anyways, but I think Sinatra's version is very peaceful and very well done.
To listen,you can go here:
You can price/buy A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra on Amazon.
Bringing up that tentative schedule again,I will be traveling home for the holidays this weekend,so will not have real computer access until Monday, December 12.
That being said,I will do two classic Christmas movie posts but they will be on different days this next week.So, just keep an eye out for them.
Please don't forget to subscribe, and comment whether good or bad.
Follow @Think_Classic on Twitter for regular updates and ideas.
Have a very merry and A Very Vintage Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment