About Me

My photo
Lover of anything vintage. I spend my free time looking at antiques,watching and collecting classic films,and reading some of the greatest literary classics known to man.This blog is just my way of sharing my interests with other people.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Life is a gift,given in trust-like a child."-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Thanksgiving is a holiday all about...what's that word again?Oh yeah, thankfulness.
But if you're anything like me, sometimes with everything else going on (family gatherings,multitudes of good food,Christmas just around the corner), it's hard to "count my blessings," as they say.
It's not that I'm not thankful for a lot of things, but I just don't have that true spirit of thankfulness-of gratitude.
That's why, this year, starting today, I'm challenging you (and myself) to what I'm calling "The Gift Project."
A couple years ago, I was given a copy of this book (see below), which I really enjoyed anyways, but it dawned on me this last week that it's the perfect thing to read just prior to Thanksgiving, in order to get in touch with my inner spirit of gratitude.
There are just so, SO many things that it brings to light that I am blessed to have, but certainly don't need for my survival, and therfore should be thankful for.
Gift from the Sea
1955 book
by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Gift from the Sea was written by a very famous lady whom we (hopefully) have all heard of, by the name of Anne Morrow Lindbergh:
And even if you haven't heard of her, you probably actually have, but just didn't realize it was actually her. Ever heard of Charles Lindbergh, the aviator?She was married to him.She was actually a famous aviator herself. She was inducted into 4 different halls of fame, and wrote numerous other books throughout her life.
Gift from the Sea was written by Morrow Lindbergh while she was on a solitary vacation on Captiva Island, in Florida. While she was on vacation, she did a lot of reflection on her life, as well as the life of Americans, as a whole. For her writings, she collected shells from the beach and examined them, linking their appearances to the structures of different areas of our daily lives. She reflects and comments on love, marriage, age, solitude, contentment, etc.
The Challenge:
There are eight small chapters in this book. There are also eight days til Thanksgiving (starting today). Seeing a connection yet?
I challenge you, and myself, to read a chapter a day up to Thanksgiving and spend a little time reflecting on who you are as a person, and all the things you've been given in your life that you've taken advantage of, or don't really need at all. Take some time to reflect on your life, and aim to find a little peace and contentment, just like Anne did.
You can find/price/purchase Gift from the Sea at Barnes and Noble online, or go to your local Barnes and Noble store.
You can also price/purchase books like this one on Amazon, so don't forget about that.
If you want to learn more about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, you can go here:

No comments:

Post a Comment