About Me

My photo
Lover of anything vintage. I spend my free time looking at antiques,watching and collecting classic films,and reading some of the greatest literary classics known to man.This blog is just my way of sharing my interests with other people.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Smile

The last two weeks have been some of the hardest I've faced in the last few years.Things have just been pretty stressful,from getting work done,to personal relationships, to being able to attest to the fact that holidays are really hard for people who have lost loved ones.
But I witnessed something yesterday that got me really smiling for the first time in the last week or so.This song popped into my head, and it hasn't left since.
So, I'm sharing it with you, because everyone has hard days, but if you smile, you'll get by..
"Smile, though your heart is aching.
Smile, even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by.
If you smile through your pain and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow you'll see the sun
Come shining through for you.
Light up your face with gladness.
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time you must keep on trying.
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile."
And, being Think Classic, I can't post that without saying something about it's origin.
That song was originally just an instrumental piece from a Charlie Chaplin movie, entitled Modern Times (1936).It was composed by Chaplin,himself.
Later on, John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons added the lyrics, and Nat King Cole was the first to sing them in 1954.It's been sung by many, many people since then, including Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, even the cast of Glee, and so many more.
To see the clip with the instrumental music from Modern Times, go here:
Here's Nat King Cole singing it:
Judy Garland singing it in the late 50s/early 60s:
Barbra Streisand:
Michael Jackson:
Stevie Wonder:
Glee Cast:

No comments:

Post a Comment